Friday, September 01, 2006

Articulate

(ar·tic·u·late) 1. divided into distinct, meaningful syllables or words. 2. endowed with the power of speech. 3. characterized by the use of clear, meaningful language.
from merckmedicus.com

My second year as PhD sudent at California Institute of Integral Studies begins with a focus on developing a dissertation topic; hopefully one that will make a significant contribution to the accademic world and more importantly to the flourishing of social and ecological world systems.

I am interested in how the practice of making art develops capacities for articulating community wisdom. I would like to explore this within the context of an “arts community” nested in the larger communities of Petaluma, Northern California and the Planet Earth. I believe that the meaning of art lays in its relation to human activity and therefore my research must be grounded in my art practice.

Local community knowledge, of ecosystems, sustainable technologies, multicultural communications, capacities for resilience, etc. must be developed so that our descendents will be able to survive the future. Much of what we need to know can not be made available through existing scientific paradigms and therefore I suggest that an inquiry focused on art practices as embodied articulation of “other ways of knowing” will be a significant contribution to the problem of “The Future” and that it must have an application in supporting the flourishing of individuals and their communities. A few years ago I realized that I did not want to die without having made a significant contribution as an artist. I can now see my way a bit more clearly.




"The Fool"
from The Voyager Tarot

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good information I prefer the High Priestess.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home