Friday, July 18, 2008

Neglected Places




I want to pay attention to places that have been radically disturbed.
Riding up Wilson Hill on the way home from Point Reyes today I pulled off into the dusty place on the side of the road. The view of Petaluma from this overlook is spectacular. I look out over the brown hills spotted with dark oaks and scrub in the ravines, A hazy sky from the many wildfires burning in Northern California, and the busy web of roads and patchwork of buildings following the 101 freeway in the center of the small valley. I breathe in the expansive sight and the quite space around me before looking down at my feet. The grassy bank that leads down about four feet to the weathered barbed wire fence is littered with trash. I have thought to clean this place many times, but I would need gloves to protect me from broken glass and human waste. I know many people come here to enjoy this view. Why do they leave trash behind? I tie a small TIASP tag onto the fence with wire. I will return with gloves to clean up this sacred place.

1 Comments:

Blogger chipchipchester said...

Isnt that just the way it is.

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home